The following is a representative sample of some of the accolades and awards recently received by Januar Jahja & Partners (JJP) and its attorneys:
Legal 500 (2017)
- “Tier 1” ranking.
- JJP’s “‘excellent service’ has won the firm several new high-profile, international clients.”
- Ranked attorneys: Prudence Jahja, Andrew Diamond, Walter Simandjuntak, and Januar Jahja.
WTR 1000 (2017)
- “Gold” ranking for ‘Prosecution and Strategy.’
- JJP “has earned an enviable reputation over its 20 years on the Indonesian market – one that has only been bolstered by a recent Supreme Court victory.”
- Highlighted JJP’s successful representation of QQ-owner Tencent Holdings, “a high-stakes case that showcased its contentious nous to the fullest.”
- Partner Prudence Jahja is described as “a key contact for large international clients; she understands their business problems and how to solve them within the Indonesian IP system.”
- Foreign IP Consultant Andrew Diamond is noted for his “extensive enforcement experience and the perseverance, creativity and theoretical know-how to pull off stunning wins for clients.”
- Founding Partner Januar Jahja is described as “a lodestar on the trademark landscape.”
- Highly Recommended: Januar Jahja.
- Recommended: Prudence Jahja, Andrew Diamond.
Chambers & Partners (2017)
- “Band 2” ranking.
- JJP “attracts praise for its solution-driven approach,” quoting one client as saying, “They were practical and creative. They always had recommendations for bringing a dispute to a conclusion.”
- “Another commentator highlights the firm’s efficiency: ‘Their work is high-quality and their responsiveness is refreshing.’”
- Noted that JJP is “well known for trade mark infringement and trade mark application work and is increasingly active on anti-counterfeiting investigations and enforcement actions,” while “[p]eers note that it is also building up its reputation among foreign clients.”
- Partner Prudence Jahja “earns praise for her handling of contentious matters for both local and international clients. One commentator describes her work as ‘stellar in every way’. Another highlights her deep knowledge of the practice area, saying: ‘She really knows the Indonesian trade mark laws.’”
- Foreign IP Consultant Andrew Diamond is described as “very responsive and able to offer creative solutions.”
- Ranked Lawyers: Prudence Jahja– “Up and Coming”; Andrew Diamond– “Band 1, Foreign Legal Consultants.”
Asialaw Profiles (2017)
- “Highly Recommended.”
- 2016 described as “about reaping the gains for” JJP.
- Highlighted JJP’s successful appeal to the Trademark Appeal Commission for international client to overcome a prior rejection.
- Ranked Lawyers: Founding Partner Januar Jahja– “Market leading lawyer”; Partner Walter Simandjuntak– “Leading Lawyer.”
Legal 500 (2016)
- “Tier 2” ranking.
- “Particularly noted for its litigation capabilities.”
- Highlighted JJP’s successful representation of Tencent Holdings Limited before the Indonesian Supreme Court.
- Also highlighted JPP’s representation of DAMN! I Love Indonesia in several online enforcement actions.
- Ranked Attorneys: Januar Jahja, Prudence Jahja, and Rianti Namora.
IP Stars (2016)
- “Tier 2” ranking for ‘Trademark Contentious’ and ‘Trademark Prosecution.’
- Described as an “IP boutique which provides legal services to well-known businesses” with “experienced local and foreign practitioners.”
- JJP “is well-known for initiating cancellation proceedings on behalf of its clients.”
- JJP also “runs a strong trademark prosecution practice.”
- Partner Prudence Jahja is noted for her work on “complex matters”, as well as “trademark prosecution and litigation and enforcement, including website takedowns.”
- Foreign IP Consultant Andrew Diamond is “described by some of his peers as ‘a bright lawyer’, advises clients on IP-related litigation.”
- Partner Walter Simandjuntak is recognized for his work on copyright matters.
- Trademark Stars: Walter Simandjuntak, Januar Jahja, Andrew Diamond.
IAM Patent 1000 (2016)
- “Ranked” as a leading patent firm in first ever IAM Patent 1000 rankings for Indonesia.
- “Dynamic, cutting-edge solutions set Januar Jahja & Partners apart from the pack.”
- JJP “also runs a tight ship when it comes to patent registration and strategic counselling.”
- “With internationally experienced management, the 25-member team is well positioned to serve patrons from all corners of the globe.”
- Partner Walter Simandjuntak received particular praise: “As the former head of patents at the Directorate General of Intellectual Property, Walter Simandjuntak brings a wealth of institutional wisdom to the 30-year-old boutique.”
- Ranked Attorney: Walter Simandjuntak.
WTR 1000 (2016)
- “Silver” ranking for both ‘Enforcement and litigation’ and ‘Prosecution and strategy’.
- JJP is described as “geared up to become the next big thing in the Indonesian IP scene.”
- “Thanks to their flawless registration services and ironclad defence of clients’ rights, its up-and-coming generation of lawyers continue to show promise.”
- Founding partner Januar Jahja described as “a leading litigator with profound insight into the trademark business.”
- Senior associate Prudence Jahja described as “a rising star in Indonesia who brings crucial overseas experience to the team.”
- Recommended: Januar Jahja, Prudence Jahja.
Asialaw Profiles (2016)
- “Highly Recommended” for Intellectual Property and “Recommended” for Dispute Resolution.
- Describes JJP as “a fast growing IP firm best known for its trade mark work.”
- One client quoted as saying: “We highly recommend them because of their excellent advice, good communication skills, and the trust in the firm.”
- Senior associate Prudence Jahja described as a “rising star”, with one client praising her as follows: “She provides an excellent and thorough service in trade mark disputes and counseling.”
- Partner Walter Simandjuntak is described as “among the leading IP lawyers in Indonesia” and his work representing the designer and producer of Damn! I Love Indonesia in online enforcement matters was highlighted.
- Ranked Attorneys: Januar Jahja, Walter Simandjuntak.
Chambers Asia Pacific (2015)
- “Band 2” ranking.
- Described as a “boutique firm which fields highly experienced practitioners with a strong focus on handling trade mark matters for international clients.”
- Noted for being “[s]killed in contentious matters, particularly trade mark prosecution.”
- Client quoted as saying, “”We have always found JJP to be excellent, especially in terms of their responsiveness and providing proactive advice. Their ability to turn work around quickly, and explain local legal issues has been excellent for us.”
- Another client described JJP as “[v]ery responsive and efficient in their work.”
- Highlighted JJP’s successful representation of Tencent Holdings Limited and Truper SA de CV in recent trademark litigation cases.
- Senior Associate Prudence Jahja named “Associate to watch”, stating that she “is praised by interviewees, who note that ‘she is absolutely top-notch’ as she ‘provided round-the-clock service.’”
- Andrew Diamond listed in Band 1 for “Intellectual Property: Foreign Legal Consultants – Indonesia” with interviewees describing him as “‘very helpful in establishing good working relationships’ and‘facilitating smooth communication,’ while another enthused that they ‘could not speak highly enough of him.’”
- Ranked Lawyers: Prudence Jahja and Andrew Diamond.
WTR 1000 (2015):
- Ranked in both “Enforcement and Litigation” and “Prosecution and Strategy” categories.
- “Communication skills, responsiveness and cost effectiveness distinguish Januar Jahja & Partners, according to its many admirers.”
- The Firm’s “next generation is rapidly gaining a global reputation as an ultra-modern and hyper-efficient team that excels in contentious matters as well.”
- Described as “long enjoy[ing] an enviable standing among local prosecution entities.”
- Managing Partner Januar Jahja described as the “visionary behind the firm’s long-running success”.
- “Clients are effusive in their praise of European-educated, US-experienced Prudence Jahja,” with one client in particular stating: “Prudence could not be any more superb a lawyer; she provided literally round-the-clock service for months on end in a complex trademark lawsuit, during which she made our team feel entirely comfortable. We trusted her completely and the end result was exactly what we needed. We are excited to have future matters in Indonesia so that we can work with her again.”
- Leading Individuals: Januar Jahja & Prudence Jahja.
Legal 500 (2015):
- Highlighted JJP’s “successful represent[ation]” of Mexican hardware giant Truper S.A. de C.V. in a trademark cancellation action versus a trademark squatter.
- “Januar Jahja heads the team, which includes Walter Simandjuntak, former director of copyrights and patents at the Indonesian IP Office.”
Asialaw Profiles (2015):
- “Highly Recommended” for our Intellectual Property Practice
- JJP “is a thriving mid-sized intellectual property firm based in Jakarta that has established a strong reputation for its trade mark work”
- One client quoted as saying: “The quality of their work and response is second to none.”
- The firm’s “main focus is trade marks with a substantial part of [their] work devoted to litigation,” nothing the “string of notable successes” enjoyed by the firm recently.
- Partner Walter Simandjuntak “has deep knowledge of IP” and highlighted for his previous government experience, where “he served as Director of Patents and then Director of Copyright and Industrial Design” at the Indonesian IP Office.
- Foreign Legal Consultant Andrew Diamond noted for “manag[ing] the firm’s international clients.
- Leading Lawyers: Januar Jahja and Walter Simandjuntak.
Corporate INTL Legal Awards Winner 2015:
“IP Enforcement Law Firm of the Year in Indonesia.”
Chambers Asia Pacific (2014):
- “Band 2” ranking.
- “An in-demand boutique with an especially strong reputation for its trademark work, attracting clients which are household names.”
- Client quoted as saying “I would always go back to Januar Jahja & Partners.”
- “[H]as thriving trade mark and patent clearance and prosecution offerings.”
- “Particularly active with respect to trademark cancellation and opposition actions.”
- Noted JJP’s trademark cancellation victory on behalf of Tencent Holdings “in a well-publicised” action.
- Foreign legal consultant Andrew Diamond described as a ‘notable practitioner’ and “key contact.”
WTR 1000 (2014):
- “[P]atrons know they are in safe hands thanks to the group’s sterling track record of successes.”
- “[P]articularly feted for its litigation and enforcement work.”
- Managing Partner Januar Jahja described as a “profoundly intelligent lawyer” and “the driving engine” of the firm.
- “A knack for navigating clients through the idiosyncrasies of the fledging Indonesian IP system is its hallmark.”
- JJP “has enjoyed prodigious growth as IP awareness at a local level continues to develop.”
- Leading Individual: Januar Jahja.
Asialaw Profiles (2014):
- Named a “Recommended” firm and “highly recommended” for its Intellectual Property practice.
- “[H]as established a standout reputation for its contentious trade marks work.”
- Managing Partner Januar Jahja “is highly praised for his technical skills and acumen.”
- “Described by a client as ‘a local law firm with good networks,’ the firm’s clients including leading international and domestic companies.”
- “[H]as solid trade marks and patent prosecution practices.”
- Partner Walter Simandjuntak highlighted for his varied practice and the “notable positions within the Indonesian government” he previously held, including Director of Patents and Director of Copyright and Industrial Design at the Indonesian IP Office.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014):
- JJP’s “team has ‘good IP experts that are responsive and pragmatic’ and have ‘a dynamic, proactive approach to law.’”
- “[A]cts for international brand owners and is also increasingly conducting outbound work for domestic clients.”
- Managing Partner Januar Jahja “recommended.”
- Foreign Legal Consultant Andrew Diamond “has ‘a professional background in dealing with foreign clients.’”
WTR 1000 (2013):
- “[H]as built up a wealth of experience – and a solid track record – in contentious matters.”
- “[K]nows how to navigate conflicts quickly and smoothly.”
- “Indonesian companies…turn to this firm as first port of call.”
- “[H]as long secured great results for notable foreign brands.”
- “Managing partner Januar Jahja has over three decades of experience and advanced know-how on all aspects of trademark protection and enforcement.”
- Leading Individual: Januar Jahja.
Corporate INTL Legal Awards Winner 2013:
“IP Enforcement Law Firm of the Year in Indonesia.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013:
- “[H]as a growing reputation in the market, having handled some impressive work in the last year.”
- “[I]s especially noted for initiating cancellation proceedings against infringing trade marks and copyrights.”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013):
- “IP firm Januar Jahja & Partners handles contentious trade mark matters for a number of well-known international brand-owning clients.”
- “Founding partner Januar Jahja has deep experience in IP litigation and trade mark opposition work.”
MIP Handbook (2013):
“Januar Jahja & Partners has a strong presence in the local market as an IP boutique.”